Schools of the Past
History of the Schools
The Washington Park neighborhood is a largely residential area that developed around the park itself and its local businesses. The large number of people moving into the area in the beginning of the 1900s brought a lot of families. With the influx of families, there came a need for an institution to teach the children now living in the area.
By 1910 the Washington Park neighborhood had grown to a size large enough to warrant two schools. One of these facilities was the Twenty-Second District School Number Three. This building was located on the wedge created by the intersection of W. Lisbon Avenue and W. North Avenue. The second school in the neighborhood at this time was the Nineteenth Ward School Number One. The Nineteenth Ward School Number One was located on N. 37th Street between W. Roberts Street and W. Walnut Street.
In the time between 1910 and 1927, Washington Park only gained one other school, although the two existing schools did undergo some changes. The former Twenty-Second District School Number Three was renamed the Lisbon Avenue Public School, giving it a better sense of identity and place. The Nineteenth Ward School Number One was given a similar treatment, becoming the 37th Street Public School. The newest addition to the neighborhood's schools was the St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church and School. The creation of a religiously affiliated school gave the residents of the area at the time the option of sending their children to a religious school without going far outside of their own neighborhood. Adding another option for parents and guardians in the area meant that the community could become closer by keeping its residents within its bounds.